Postdoctoral Researcher Appointments
The following procedures are to be initiated at the departmental level by the Student Services Manager who will serve as the liaison between the department and the Office of Postdoctoral Affairs (OPA).
This document sets forth policies and procedures related to the appointment, roles, requirements and responsibilities of Postdoctoral Scholars at Stanford: HERE
Hiring a new postdoc:
- University Eligibility and Terms: HERE
- Funding Rates: HERE
- Send name, email address (non-Stanford), length of appointment, funding source to Student Services Manager, Jonelle Whiting.
- Processing time
- Visa requests must be made at least three months in advance of the start date of the postdoc appointment
- Average length for processing is 4 weeks when visa not needed
- If the potential postdoc does not yet have their PhD degree this may delay the process
Extending postdoc appointment:
- Please send extension dates to the Student Services Manager at least four weeks in advance.
- Postdoctoral Scholars are appointed at Stanford for fixed terms, by issuance of re-appointment notifications that may total up to four years. Faculty sponsors may request an extension beyond the four-year total (see sections 2.F and 2.G). During its term, an appointment is contingent upon satisfactory performance and the existence of funding. At the end of the term and subject to the limits set forth in this policy, the appointment may be eligible for renewal, based on satisfactory performance, the existence of funding, programmatic need and continuing visa eligibility (for international Scholars). International Scholars should note that postdoctoral appointments are not guaranteed to match the length of visa eligibility.
- Early termination policy: HERE
- Normal termination (i.e. found new position or time expired) must be done 4 weeks in advance to avoid extra insurance/registration fees.
- The postdoc needs to send the Student Services Manager: new position title, location, forwarding phone, email & mailing addresses.
- Faculty are responsible for incurring health insurance charges for postdocs when their fellowship does not have funds to do so. Rates may be found HERE.
- Fee waiver policy: HERE
New postdocs are required to attend a benefits session when they arrive.