Planetary Radio Glaciology
Adapting and expanding terrestrial radio glaciology to the exploration of icy moons.
The exploration of icy moons using ice penetrating radar shares many observational approaches and geophysical questions with terrestrial radio glaciology. Despite these significant theoretical and technical commonalities between airborne and satellite radar sounders, the limitations in power, processing, and data volume make the collection and interpretation of planetary radar sounding data a distinct challenge. Through membership on the REASON (Radar for Europa Assessment and Sounding: Ocean to Near Surface, Europa Clipper Mission, NASA) and Mini RF (Lunar Reconnaisance Orbiter Mission, NASA) Science Teams as well as active collaboration on RIME (Radar for Icy Moon Exploration, JUICE MIssion, ESA) we work to develop and adapt novel observation and analysis techniques to maximize the scientific return from these missions. We often find that these highly optimized approaches are very powerful when applied to the comparatively data and signal rich observations of terrestrial ice sheets.
- G. Steinbruegge, D.M. Schroeder, M.S. Haynes, H. Hussmann, C. Grima, D.D. Blankenship, Assessing the potential for measuring Europa’s tidal Love number h2 using radar sounder and topographic imager data, Earth and Planetary Science Letters
- D. Castelletti, D.M. Schroeder, S. Hensley, C. Grima, G. Ng, D.A. Young, Y. Gim, L Bruzzone, A. Moussessian, D.D. Blankenship, An Interferometric Approach to Cross-Track Clutter Detection in Two Channel VHF Radar Sounders, IEEE Transactions on Geoscience and Remote Sensing, 2017
- K. Kalousova, D.M. Schroeder, K. Soderlund, Radar attenuation in Europa's ice shell: Obstacles and opportunities for constraining the shell thickness and its thermal structure, Journal of Geophysical Research, 2017
- B.A. Campbell, D.M. Schroeder, J.L. Whitten, Mars Radar Clutter and Surface Roughness Characteristics from MARSIS Data, Icarus, 2017
- Y. Aglyamov, D.M. Schroeder , S.D. Vance. Bright prospects for radar detection of Europa’s ocean, Icarus, 2017
- D.M. Schroeder, A. Romero-Wolf, L. Carrer, C. Grima, B.A. Campbell, W. Kofman, L. Bruzzone, D.D. Blankenship, Assessing the potential for passive radio sounding of Europa and Ganymede with RIME and REASON, Planetary and Space Science, 2016
- A. Romero-Wolf, D.M. Schroeder, P. Ries, B.G. Bills, C.Naudet, B.R. Scott, R. Treuhaft, S. Vance. Prospects of passive radio detection of a subsurface ocean on Europa with a lander, Planetary and Space Science, 2016
- C. Grima, D.D. Blankenship, D.M. Schroeder. Radar Signal through Europa Ionosphere, Planetary and Space Science, 2015
- C. Grima, D.M. Schroeder, D.D. Blankenship, D.A. Young. Planetary Landing Zone Assessment by Radar Sounder: Demonstration in Antarctica, Planetary and Space Science, 2014