Adapting and expanding terrestrial radio glaciology to the exploration of icy moons.
The exploration of icy moons using ice penetrating radar has many observational and geophysical commonalities with terrestrial radio glaciology. However, limitations in power, processing, and data volume make the collection and interpretation of planetary radar sounding data a distinct challenge. As part of the NASA’s Europa Clipper and Lunar Reconnaissance Orbiter science teams, we are working to develop and adapt novel observation and analysis techniques to maximize the scientific return from their radar instruments. These include studies evaluating and optimizing the geophysical performance of the RIME and REASON radar sounders (on the ESA and NASA Jupiter icy moon missions). We are also exploring the possibility of using Jovian decametric radiation as a signal of opportunity for sounding, developing a joint radar/stereo-imagery approach for flyby geodesy, and exploring the use of attenuation imaging to constrain ice-shell properties. Happily, these highly-optimized approaches are also powerful when applied to the comparatively data and signal rich observations of terrestrial ice sheets.
- R.J. Michaelides, D.M. Schroeder Doppler-based discrimination of radar sounder target scattering properties: A case study of subsurface water geometry in Europa's ice shell, Icarus
- G. Steinbruegge, D.M. Schroeder, M.S. Haynes, H. Hussmann, C. Grima, D.D. Blankenship, Assessing the potential for measuring Europa’s tidal Love number h2 using radar sounder and topographic imager data, Earth and Planetary Science Letters
- D. Castelletti, D.M. Schroeder, S. Hensley, C. Grima, G. Ng, D.A. Young, Y. Gim, L Bruzzone, A. Moussessian, D.D. Blankenship, An Interferometric Approach to Cross-Track Clutter Detection in Two Channel VHF Radar Sounders, IEEE Transactions on Geoscience and Remote Sensing, 2017
- K. Kalousova, D.M. Schroeder, K. Soderlund, Radar attenuation in Europa's ice shell: Obstacles and opportunities for constraining the shell thickness and its thermal structure, Journal of Geophysical Research, 2017
- B.A. Campbell, D.M. Schroeder, J.L. Whitten, Mars Radar Clutter and Surface Roughness Characteristics from MARSIS Data, Icarus, 2017
- Y. Aglyamov, D.M. Schroeder , S.D. Vance. Bright prospects for radar detection of Europa’s ocean, Icarus, 2017
- D.M. Schroeder, A. Romero-Wolf, L. Carrer, C. Grima, B.A. Campbell, W. Kofman, L. Bruzzone, D.D. Blankenship, Assessing the potential for passive radio sounding of Europa and Ganymede with RIME and REASON, Planetary and Space Science, 2016
- A. Romero-Wolf, D.M. Schroeder, P. Ries, B.G. Bills, C.Naudet, B.R. Scott, R. Treuhaft, S. Vance. Prospects of passive radio detection of a subsurface ocean on Europa with a lander, Planetary and Space Science, 2016
- C. Grima, D.D. Blankenship, D.M. Schroeder. Radar Signal through Europa Ionosphere, Planetary and Space Science, 2015
- C. Grima, D.M. Schroeder, D.D. Blankenship, D.A. Young. Planetary Landing Zone Assessment by Radar Sounder: Demonstration in Antarctica, Planetary and Space Science, 2014