Charactarizing the configuration, behavior, and impact of hydrologic systems in Antarctica and Greenland.
Subglacial and supraglacial water networks are dynamic systems that can exert strong control on ice flow, yet their influence on ice sheet stability is still poorly understood. One reason for this is the challenge of observing the properties of expansive water networks (spanning hundreds of thousands of square kilometers) as well as their dynamically critical meter-scale geometry above, within, and below kilometers of ice. Our work in this area focuses on addressing that challenge by developing improved techniques to characterize hydrologic bed conditions with ice penetrating radar so that their impact on ice sheet behavior can be better observed, modeled, and projected. Our recent work has focused on Thwaites Glacier in West Antarctica, which is one of the largest, most rapidly changing, and potentially most unstable glaciers in the world. We are building on this work by taking advantage of existing data, instruments, and collaborations to apply similar techniques to other regions in Antarctica, Greenland, and the Arctic.
- T.M. Jordan, C.N. Williams, D.M. Schroeder, Y.M. Martos, M.A. Cooper, M.J. Siegert, J.D. Paden, P. Huybrechts, J.L. Bamber, A Constraint Upon the Basal Water Distribution and Basal Thermal State of the Greenland Ice Sheet from Radar Bed-Echoes, The Cryosphere, 2018
- W. Chu, D.M. Schroeder, H. Seroussi, T. Creyts, R.E. Bell , Complex basal thermal transition near the onset of Petermann Glacier, Greenland, Journal of Geophysical Researc, 2018
- A. Rutishauser, D.D. Blankenship, M. Sharp, M.L. Skidmore, J.S. Greenbaum, C. Grima, D.M. Schroeder, J.A. Dowdeswell, D.A. Young, Discovery of a Hypersaline Subglacial Lake Complex Beneath Devon Ice Cap, Canadian Arctic, Science Advances, 2018
- D.M. Schroeder, A.M. Hilger, J.D. Paden, D.A. Young, H.F.J. Corr, Ocean Access Beneath the Southwest Tributary of Pine Island Glacier, West Antarctica, Annals of Glaciology, 2017
- T.M. Jordan, M.A. Cooper, D.M. Schroeder, C.N. Williams, J.D. Paden, M.J. Siegert, J.L. Bamber, Self-affine subglacial roughness: consequences for radar scattering and basal water discrimination in northern Greenland, The Cryosphere, 2017
- W. Chu, D. M. Schroeder, H. Seroussi, T. Creyts, S. J. Palmer, R. E. Bell, Extensive winter subglacial water storage beneath the Greenland Ice Sheet, Geophysical Research Letters, 2016
- M.J. Siegert, R. Ross, J. Li, D.M. Schroeder, D. Rippin, D. Ashmore, R. Bingham, P. Gogineni. Subglacial Controls on the Flow of Insitute Ice Stream, West Antarctica, Annals of Glaciology, 2016
- D.A. Young, D.M. Schroeder, D.D. Blankenship, S.D. Kempf, E. Quartini. The Distribution of Basal Water Between Antarctic Subglacial Lakes from Radar Sounding, Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society of London A: Mathematical, Physical and Engineering Sciences, 2015
- D.M. Schroeder, R.K. Raney, D.D. Blankenship. Estimating Subglacial Water Geometry from the Specularity of Radar Bed Echoes: Application to Thwaites Glacier, West Antarctica. IEEE Geoscience and Remote Sensing Letters, 2015
- D.M. Schroeder, D.D. Blankenship, D.A. Young, E. Quartini. Evidence for Elevated and Spatially Heterogeneous Geothermal Flux Beneath the West Antarctic Ice Sheet, Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, 2014
- A.E. Witus, C.M. Branecky, J.B. Anderson, W. Szczucinski, D.M. Schroeder, D.D. Blankenship, M. Jakobsson. Meltwater Intensive Glacial Reatreat in Polar Environments and Investigation of Associated Sediments: Example from Pine Island Bay, West Antarctica, Quaternary Science Reviews, 2014
- D.M. Schroeder, D.D. Blankenship, D.A. Young. Evidence for a Water System Transition Beneath Thwaites Glacier, West Antarctica, Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, 2013
- A.P. Wright, D.A. Young, J.L. Roberts, D.M. Schroeder, J.L. Bamber, J.A. Dowdeswell, N.W. Young, A.M. Le Brocq, R.C. Warner, A.J. Payne, D.D. Blankenship, T.D. van Ommen, M.J. Siegert. Evidence for a Hydrological Connection Between the Ice Divide and Ice Sheet Margin in the Aurora Subglacial Basin Sector of East Antarctica, Journal of Geophysical Research Earth Surface, 2012