**Note: As of September 1, 2013, the vehicle rate is now $1.25 per mile
The School of Earth, Energy & Environmental Sciences maintains a fleet of 5 large-capacity vehicles to support student, faculty and stuff undertaking field trips, field courses and field research.
The current fleet consists of the following:
- 2011 Chevrolet Suburban (Fleet No. 4245)--seats 8, 4WD
- 2003 Chevrolet Suburban (Fleet No. 1858)--seats 8, 4WD
- 2003 Chevrolet Suburban (Fleet No. 1867)--seats 8, 4WD
- 2005 Dodge Grand Caravan (Fleet No. 1682)--seats 7, 2WD
- 2005 Dodge Grand Caravan (Fleet No. 1683)--seats 7, 2WD
Only authorized drivers may drive and reserve SES vehicles. The following steps must be completed in order to obtain an authorization.
- Read the Administrative Guide memos pertaining to University Vehicle Use and Controlled Substances and Alcohol,
- Complete the following Driver Authorization Form and return it to 132 Mitchell along with a copy of your driver's license.
- Complete the large-vehicle training. Contact Ryan Petterson to arrange an appointment. Training takes approximately 15 minutes and includes a short road test in one of the suburbans.
Vehicle Use Policies
- Only those who are authorized (see above) can drive.
- Priority for use of the vehicles is as follows: 1) field courses, 2) class field trips, 3) student or faculty research, and 4) other travel
- Priority for the Suburbans is given to trips requiring 4x4 or travel on unpaved roads
- Drivers are responsible for completing the vehicle mileage log in its entirety for every trip. All gas receipts must be saved and stowed in the vehicle log book.
- Vehicles must be returned on time and parked in designated/approved spaces.
- Moving violation and parking tickets are the responsibility of the driver.
- Safety first at all times. Drivers will ensure that all occupants are wearing a seatbelt and that all cargo is properly secured.
- Open alcoholic beverages are not permitted in vehicles at any time.
- Upon returning the vehicle:
- Make sure the gas tank is more than 3/4 full.
- Clean the vehicle exterior and interior. This includes removing all trash from the vehicle, brushing off the floor and seats, returning seats to their original position, and washing the vehicle at the car wash, if warranted.
- Return the logbook, including keys, credit cards, and receipts to Mitchell 132.
- Report any vehicle problems, no matter how seemingly trivial, to Ryan Petterson or in person.
- Return any department equipment to its proper place.
Reservations should be made at least 48 hours in advance. If you need a vehicle sooner than that, fill out the form AND email Ryan Petterson directly and we will try to find a vehicle for you. You may check the calendar for availabiltiy but please submit a reservation request even if there is a conflict as we would like to keep track of demand for the vehicles. Please note that vehicles can also be rented from the on-campus Enterprise Rent-A-Car for trips confined to paved roads--we can assist you with this process if necessary. Contact Ryan Petterson (email@example.com) with any vehicle-related questions.
To submit a vehicle request please complete the web form below (if you can't see the form you need to log in with your SUNet ID at the very top of the page). The form must be filled out in its entirety in order for the reservation to be processed. A PTA must be provided for billing of mileage charges. The current rate is $1.25 per mile, gas included.