The research in GES is wide-ranging and interdisciplinary. The categories listed here are not rigid divisions; rather, they are intended to illustrate the breadth of faculty research interests within the department.
The research of the department focuses on the following areas:
- Surface Processes, Hydrology, & Geomorphology
- Environmental Geology and Geochemistry
- Sedimentary Geology & Basin Analysis
- Structural Geology & Tectonics, Regional Geology, and Geomechanics
- Petrology, Geochemistry, Mineralogy & Mineral Physics
- Geochronology & Thermochronology