Robert L. Kovach
|Title:||Emeritus Faculty, Acad Council|
|Primary Affiliation:||Department of Geophysics|
- 1962 | Ph.D., Geophysics, California Institute of Technology
- 1959 | M.A., Geology/Geophysics, Columbia University
- 1955 | Gp. Engr., Geophysics, Colorado School of Mines
- 2005 – Present | Professor Emeritus of Geophysics, Stanford University
- 1977 – 1978 | Visiting Professor of Geology and Geophysics, University of Hawaii
- 1977 – 1979 | Associate Dean for Research, School of Earth Sciences, Stanford University
- 1976 | Visiting Scientist, Weizmann Institute of Science
- 1975 | Invited Visiting Professor, Japan Society for the Promotion of Science, Sendai University
- 1970 – 2005 | Professor of Geophysics, Stanford University
- 1966 – 1970 | Associate Professor of Geophysics, Stanford University
- 1965 – 1966 | Assistant Professor of Geophysics, Stanford University
- 1964 – 1965 | Assistant Professor of Planetary Science, California Institute of Technology
- 1963 – 1964 | Research Fellow, California Institute of Technology
- 1961 – 1963 | Senior Scientist, Jet Propulsion Laboratory
- 1959 – 1961 | Research Assistant in Seismology, California Institute of Technology
- 1956 – 1958 | 1st. Lt., U.S. Army Corps of Engineers
Expand to full listing 13 entries
Honors & Awards
- 1976 – 1978 | President, Seismology Section, American Geophysical Union
- 1973 | NASA Medal for Exceptional Scientific Achievement
- 1971 | John Simon Guggenheim Fellow
- 1970 | Fellow, Geological Society of America
- 1954 | Tau Beta Pi (Engineering Honorary Fraternity)
- 1954 | Sigma Gamma Epsilon (Earth Sciences Honorary Fraternity)
Expand to full listing 6 entries
- 2008 – 2010 | Faculty Representative, Judicial Affairs Board
- 2000 – 2004 | Associate Chair, Department of Geophysics
- 1999 | Field Trip Leader, Freshman/Sophomore College, Sterling Quad
- 1999 – 2007 | Leader, Stanford Introductory Seminar Field Trip to Yucatan Peninsula, Mexico
- 1995 – 2003 | Member, School of Earth Sciences Shell Foundation Fund
- 1993 – 1999 | Member, University Subcommittee on Academic Standing, Petitions and Exceptions (C-AAA-ASPE)
- 1991 – 2003 | Station Manager, Stanford Broadband Seismic Facility
- 1976 – 2005 | Member, John A. Blume Earthquake Engineering Center, Stanford University
Expand to full listing 8 entries
- 2008 | Invited Speaker, Seismological Society of America Meeting, Santa Fe, New Mexico
- 2003 | Session Chairman, Seismological Society of America Meeting, San Juan, Puerto Rico
- 2002 | Invited Speaker, Apocalypse Then and Now, University of Calgary.
- 2001 | Organizer, Union Session on Archaeological Evidence for Historic and Prehistoric Earthquakes, American Geophysical Union, San Francisco.
- 2001 | Invited Speaker, Seismological Society of America, Eastern Section, South Carolina.
- 2000 – 2004 | Member, Development Committee, American Geophysical Union
- 2000 | Organizer, 3rd Conference on Tectonic Problems of the San Andreas Fault System, Stanford
- 1999 | Speaker, Symposium on Great Earthquakes in the Cordillera, G.S.A. Cordilleran Section
- Centennial 1899-1999, Berkeley
Expand to full listing 9 entries
- 2007 (Winter) | GP 5Q Earthquakes and Archaeology [Enrolled 6]
- 2005 | GEOPHYS 50Q E Mediterranean Quakes & Archaeology [Enrolled 17]
- 2005 | GEOPHYS 120 Frontiers in Geophysics [Enrolled 8]
- 2003 | GP004 Natural Hazards [Enrolled 50]
- 2002 | GP5Q Eathquakes in the Americas [Enrolled 8]
- 2002 | GP004 Natural Hazards [Enrolled 56]
- 2001 | GP004 Natural Hazards [Enrolled 53]
- 2001 | GP399 Teaching Experience [Enrolled 1]
- 2001 | L/AM198 Senior Thesis [Enrolled 1]
- 2001 | GP005 Earthquakes of the Americas [Enrolled 4]
- 2001 | L/AM198 Senior Thesis [Enrolled 1]
- 2000 | GP004 Natural Hazards and Human Survival [Enrolled 40]
- 2000 | GP005 Earthquakes of the Americas [Enrolled 8]
- 1999 | GP004 Natural Hazards and Human Survival [Enrolled 75]
- 1999 | GP005 Earthquakes of the Americas [Enrolled 5]
- 1998 | GP174 Seismology (with Beroza) [Enrolled 5]
- 1998 | GP005 Earthquakes of the Americas [Enrolled 10]
- 1998 | GP004 Natural Hazards and Human Survival [Enrolled 106]
Expand to full listing 18 entries
- 2010* | Kovach, R.L., Grijalva, K., and Nur, A., Earthquakes and Civilizations of the Indus Valley: A Challenge for Archaeoseismology, in Sintubin, M., Stewart, I.S., Niemi, T.M., and Altunel, E., eds. Ancient Earthquakes: Geological Society of America Special Paper 471, p. 119-127, doi: 10.1130/2010.2471 (11)
- 2006* | Grijalva, K.A., R.L. Kovach and A.M. Nur, Evidence for Tectonic Activity during the Mature Harappan Civilization, 2600-1800 BCE. EOS, Transactions American Geophysical Union, v. 87, no. 52, T51D-1553.
- 2006* | Kovach, R.L. and A. Nur, Earthquakes and Archaeology: Neo-catastrophism or Science? EOS, Transactions American Geophysical Union, v.87, no.32, p. 317-318.
- 2004* | Kovach, R.L., Early Earthquakes of the Americas, Cambridge University Press, England, 280 pp.
- 2003 | Kovach, R.L. and G.C. Beroza. History of Geophysics at Stanford. In International Handbook of Earthquake & Engineering Seismology, Part B, W.H.K. Lee et al (editors), p. 1459 and accompanying CD-ROM, Academic Press.
- 2003* | Kovach, R.L. and B. McGuire, Guide to Global Hazards, Philip's, Octopus Publishing Group Ltd., London, 256 pp.
- 2003* | Bokelmann, G. and R.L. Kovach. Long Term Creep Changes and Their Causes, Geophysical Research Letters, vol. 30, no. 8, 1445, doi: 10.1029/2003GL017012, 2003.
- 2002 | Kovach, R.L. and B.N.C. Garcia, Jr. Did Earthquakes Play a Role in the Demise of Maya Centers? Proceedings of the 35th Chacmool Conference, Apocalypse Then and Now, University of Calgary.
- 2001 | Kovach, R.L. and C.F. Chyba. Seismic Detectability of a Subsurface Ocean on Europa. ICARUS, v. 150, p. 279-287.
- 2000 | Bokelmann, G. and R.L. Kovach (eds). Proceedings of the 3rd Conference on Tectonic Problems of the San Andreas Fault System. Stanford University Publications in Geological Sciences, v. XXI, 402 pp.
- 1999 | Kovach, R.L. Seismotectonics of the Death Valley region. http://www.FATBRAIN.com/ematter/home.html, pp. 14.
- 1999 | Kovach, R.L. Review of Furious Earth: The Science and Nature of Earthquakes, Volcanoes and Tsunamis by Ellen J. Prager, McGraw-Hill, Geotimes, v. 45, no. 8, pp. 32-33.
- 1999 | Chyba, C.F., W.B. McKinnon, A. Coustenis, R.E. Johnson, R.L. Kovach, et al. Europa and Titan: Preliminary Recommendations of the Campaign Science Working Group on Prebiotic Chemistry in the Outer Solar System. In Proceedings, Lunar and Planetary Science
- 1998* | Kovach, R.L. Conflict with the Earth--Disasters and Human Affairs. Agreka Books, Utah,175 pp.
- 1996 | Page, B. and R.L. Kovach. Estimates of Deformation Rates and Earthquake Recurrence Intervals, Stanford Area. In USGS Open File Report 96-267, Towards Assessing the Seismic Risk Associated with Blind Faults, pp. 39-40.
Expand to full listing 15 entries