|Title:||Post Doctoral Scholar, Department of Geophysics|
|Primary Affiliation:||Department of Geophysics|
|Office Location:||Mitchell Bldg 451|
|Research Group:||The Center for Groundwater Evaluation and Management|
Jess is from the Great White North, Toronto Ontario Canada. Although she misses it dearly, she has grown rather fond of the California sun. She came to Stanford in 2007 to work with Rosemary Knight in her Environmental Geophysics group to study hydrogeophysics. Since completing her degree she has continued on as a Postdoc in the Environmental Geophysics group.
Jess is interested in using geophysical methods to better understand hydrogeology. Her current research involves using surface deformation measurements from Interferometric Synthetic Aperture Radar (InSAR) data to provide information about the water table levels in underlying aquifer systems. Jess's field site is in the San Luis Valley, Colorado, just north of the Colorado-New Mexico border. The San Luis Valley is a large agricultural center for the state of Colorado, and withdrawal of groundwater is heavily regulated. The local water agency decided to create a groundwater flow model to better understand the time varying behavior of the aquifer system. However, the model is not able to accurately predict changes in the water table levels due to a dearth of data. Jess will be working to see if InSAR data, which is both spatially and temporally dense, can provide the extra information needed to constrain the model.
- 2006 | Hon. B.Sc., Physics and Geology, University of Toronto
- 2013 | Ph.D. Geophysics, Stanford University
- 2007 | Technical Editor, Exploration 07, International Conference on Mineral Exploration
- 2006 | Undergraduate Summer Research Assistantship, National Science and Engineering Research Council Canada
- 2006 | Research Assistant, Jack Satterly Geochronology Lab, University of Toronto, Canada
Honors & Awards
- 2011 | Centennial Teaching Assistant Award, Stanford University
- 2011 | Rising Environmental Leader, Stanford Woods Institute for the Environment
- 2011 | Meritorious Presentation, Near SUrface Focus Group Fall AGU Meeting
- 2007 | Nelson Award, Stanford Department of Geophysics
- 2006 | The Don Salt Award for Geophysics, Canadian Exploration Geophysics Society (KEGS)
- 2006 | H.V. Ellsworth Award for Mineralogy, Department of Geology, University of Toronto
- 2010 - 2012 | Prime Minister, Stanford Canadian Club
- 2010 - 2012 | Center for Teaching and Learning Liaison
- 2007 - present | Member, American Geophysical Union
- 2011 - present | Member, Environmental and Engineering Geophysical Society
- Reeves, J., Knight, R., Zebker, H.A., (2012), Estimating uncertainty in InSAR deformation measurements in the San Luis Valley, Colorado, poster at 2012 AGU Chapman Conference, Remote Sensing of the Terrestrial Water Cycle, Waikaloa, Hawaii, 19-23 Feb.
- Reeves, J.A., R. Knight, H.A. Zebker, W.A. Schreüder, P. Shanker Agram, P., T.R. Lauknes (2011), High quality interferometric synthetic aperture radar data linked to seasonal change in hydraulic head for an agricultural area in the San Luis Valley, Colorado, Water Resour. Res., 47, W12510, doi:10.1029/2010WR010312.
- Reeves, J., Knight, R., Zebker, H.A., Schreuder, W.A., (2011), InSAR imaging of seasonal groundwater change in the San Luis Valley, Colorado, Abstract NS13A-08 presented at 2011 Fall Meeting, AGU, San Francisco, Calif., 4-9 Dec.
- Reeves, J., Knight, R., Zebker, H.A., Schreuder, W.A., (2011), Satellite-Based InSAR Measurements: A New Approach to Groundwater Monitoring, poster at 2011 SAGEEP, Charleston, S.C., 10-13 Apr.
- Reeves, J., Knight, R., Zebker, H.A., Schreuder, W.A., Agram, P., Lauknes, T. (2010), InSAR data produce specific storage estimates for an agricultural area in the San Luis Valley, Colorado, Abstract H11K-08 presented at 2010 Fall Meeting, AGU, San Francisco, Calif., 13-17 Dec.
- Reeves, J., Knight, R., Zebker, H.A., Schreüder, W. A., Agram, P., Lauknes, T.R., High quality InSAR deformation measurements for an agricultural area in the San Luis Valley, EGU topical conference series on the hydrologic cycle: Earth Observation and Water Cycle Science, POSTER, November 2009.
- Reeves, J., Knight, R., Zebker, H.A., Schreüder, W. A., Agram, P., Lauknes, T.R., InSAR deformation time series for an agricultural area in the San Luis Valley, Eos Trans. AGU, 90(22), Jt. Assem. Suppl., Abstract H13A-03, POSTER, 2009.
- Sun, L.F., B. Milkereit, D. Schmitt, J.A. Reeves, “Detecting Heterogeneity near a Borehole Using Vibroseis VSP Data”, In: Proceedings of the Fifth Decennial International Conference on Mineral Exploration, 1091-1094, 2007.