Graduate Student Milestones-Deadlines & Forms
GP Student Milestones-Deadlines & Forms
MS Student Milestones
- Description: Submit a program proposal for approval by a faculty adviser in the first quarter of enrollment.
- Deadline: By the end of the first quarter of enrollment.
- Form: MS Proposal form
- Description: Each candidate must present and defend the results of his or her research at a public oral presentation attended by at least two faculty members. Student must notify TWIG and post announcements.
- Deadline: Must be completed before MS degree is awarded.
- Form: MS Public Oral Presentation form
MS Annual Review
- Description: For 1st year MS students. Discuss degree progress and future plans with committee. 4 committee members are recommended, minimum of 3 required. At least 2 members should be Geophysics faculty.
- Deadline: To be completed by end of Autumn quarter – 2nd year.
- Form: Masters Annual Review form and MS Degree Requirement Form
PhD Student Milestones
Pre Candidacy PhD Annual Review
- Description: For 2nd year PhD students. Discuss degree progress and future plans with committee. Four committee members are recommended, minimum of 3 required. At least 2 members should be Geophysics faculty.
- Deadline: Must be completed by end of Autumn quarter – 2nd year.
- Form: Pre Candidacy PhD Annual Review Form and PhD Degree Requirement Form.
- Description: Presentation of the proposed research, including both primary and secondary projects by the student. Committee must comprise at least 4 members, with a majority comprising of Geophysics faculty.
- Deadline: University deadline mandates advancement to candidacy by the end of the second year. Departmental policy strongly encourages completion of the qualifying exam by the end of the Spring quarter for students entering in the Fall quarter. Student has to petition for an exception to this policy before their 6th quarter begins.
- Form: Qualifying Oral Exam form. If the student passes the qualifying exam, they must turn in the
Application to Candidacy form as well.
Apply for PhD Candidacy
- Description: Admission to candidacy for the doctoral degree, following successful completion of qualifying procedures.
- Deadline: End of 2nd year, preferably 6th quarter.
- Form: Application for PhD Candidacy form.
Post Candidacy PhD Annual Review
- Description: Discuss degree progress and future plans with committee. Four committee members are recommended, minimum of 3 required. At least 2 members should be Geophysics faculty.
- Deadline: To be completed no later than Spring quarter of each year. The student’s PhD defense serves as the final year review.
- Form: Post Candidacy PhD Annual Review form and PhD Requirement Form.
- Description: Second scientific proposal or paper with a professor in another area (more detailed requirements can be found on the Program Requirements page).
- Deadline: Students are expected to complete this requirement by the end of their 3rd year.
- Form: 2nd Research Project Review form
- Description: Dissertation is read and approved by the 3 members of the student’s committee. Reading Committee signatures signify that the student is ready to defend.
- Deadline: Must be completed before approval of TGR status or before scheduling defense. Department strongly recommends that students form their committee during the 3rd year.
- Form: Doctoral Dissertation Reading Committee form and the Certification of Thesis Draft form are both required to turn in.
- Description: After 135 units and all degree requirements have been met, students can apply for TGR status (reduced tuition rate). Student enrolls in Geophys802 (PhD) or Geophys801 (MS)and solely works on dissertation, however students can still enroll in 3 units of electives with TGR tuition.
- Deadline: Deadline to submit TGR request is day 1 @ 5pm of the quarter requesting to go TGR.
- Form: Must fill out Doctoral Dissertation Reading Committee Form and TGR Form.
- Description: Student defends dissertation before committee, includes an open session. Student is required to have 4 members plus a chair from another department and must turn in signed Certification of Thesis Draft form 2 weeks before the defense.
- Deadline: When thesis is completed. Typically during the 5th year.
- Form: University Oral Examination form, to be completed by student and defense chair right after defense. Must turn form in to Nancy immediately after defense.