My research interest lies in the ecology of phytoplankton. At the interface between the physical/chemical processes of the ocean and the upper trophic levels of marine life, the phytoplankton touches all aspects of marine science. In particular, I use a combination of fieldwork and remotely-sensed data to understand the role of the phytoplankton in high-latitude marine ecosystems.
Remote Sensing of the Oceans
Atmosphere, Ocean, and Climate Dynamics: The Ocean Circulation
- Ashland High School, 2003 (valedictorian)
- BA, Pomona College, 2007 (chemistry)
Honors & Awards
- Awarded NASA Earth and Space Science Fellowship (NESSF) in 2011.
- Finalist, Thomas J. Watson Fellowship, 2007.
- Awarded an Andrew W. Mellon Grant for a one-year post-baccalaureate research position at Pomona College with Dr. Nina Karnovsky.
- Received an HHMI Grant for interdisciplinary summer research (undertaken at Pomona College and UAF in the summer of 2006)
- Won Pomona College’s F.S. Jennings Prize in Critical Writing in Spring 2006.
- Earned the Robert C. Byrd Honors Scholarship for exceptionally able high school seniors.
- President of Stanford University's School of Earth Sciences (SES) Graduate Student Advisory Council (GSAC), 2009-2010.
- Stanford University campus liaison for MARINE (Monterey Area Research Institutions' Network for Education).
- Marine Biogeochemistry (TA), Professor Kevin Arrigo.
- Remote Sensing of the Oceans (TA), Professor Kevin Arrigo.
- Atmosphere, Ocean, and Climate Dynamics: The Ocean Circulation (TA), Professor Leif Thomas.
- Brown, Z. W., and K. R. Arrigo (2013), Sea ice impacts on spring bloom dynamics and net primary production in the Eastern Bering Sea, Journal of Geophysical Research, 118, 1-20.
- Arrigo, K.R., Perovich, D.K., Pickart, R.S., Brown, Z.W., et al. (2012), Massive phytoplankton blooms under Arctic sea ice, Science, 336, 1408.
- Gremillet, D., Welcker, J., Karnovsky, N.J., Walkusz, W., Hall, M.E., Fort, J., Brown, Z.W., Speakman, J.R., and A.M.A. Harding (2012), Little auks buffer the impact of current Arctic climate change, Marine Ecology Progress Series, 454, 197-206.
- Brown, Z. W., and K. R. Arrigo (2012), Contrasting trends in sea ice and primary production in the Bering Sea and Arctic Ocean. ICES Journal of Marine Science, 69, 1180-1193.
- Brown, Z. W., Welcker, J., Harding, A. M. A., Walkusz, W. and N. J. Karnovsky (2012), Divergent diving behavior during chick- and self-feeding foraging trips in the little auk (Alle alle), Journal of Avian Biology, 43, 001-012.
- Karnovsky, N. J., Welcker, J., Harding, A. M. A., Brown, Z. W., Walkusz, W., Cavalcanti, A., Hardin, J., Kitaysky, A., Gabrielsen, G., and D. Grémillet (2012), Inter-colony comparison of diving behavior of an Arctic top predator: implications for warming in the Greenland Sea, Marine Ecology Progress Series, 440, 229-240.
- Brown, Z. W., Van Dijken, G. L., and K. R. Arrigo (2011), A reassessment of primary production and environmental change in the Bering Sea, Journal of Geophysical Research, 116, CO8014.
- Karnovsky, N., Harding, N., Walkusz, W., Kwaśniewski, S., Goszczko, I., Wiktor Jr., J., Routti, H., Bailey, A., McFadden, L., Brown, Z.W., Beaugrand, G., and D. Grémillet (2010). Foraging Distributions of little auks (Alle alle) across the Greenland Sea: Implications of present and future Arctic climate change. Marine Ecology Progress Series, 415, 283-293.
- Karnovksy, N.J., Hobson, K.A., Brown, Z.W. and G. L. Hunt Jr. (2009). Distribution and Diet of Ivory Gulls (Pagophila eburnea) in the North Water Polynya. Arctic, 62, 65-74.
- Moline, M., Karnovsky, N. J., Brown, Z. W., Divoky, G. J., Frazer, T. K., Jacoby, C. A., Torres, J. J. and W. R. Fraser (2008), High Latitude Changes in Ice Dynamics and Their Impact on Polar Marine Ecosystems. Annals of the N.Y. Academy of Sciences, 1134, 267-319.
- Anderson, C.E., Pickrell, A.J., Sperry, S. L., Vasquez, T. E. Jr., Custer, T. G., Fierman, M.B., Lazar, D. C., Brown, Z. W., Iskenderian, W. S., Hickstein, D. D., and D. J. O’Leary (2007) NMR detection of intramolecular OH/OH hydrogen bond networks: an appraoch using isotopic perturbation and hydrogen bond midated OH:OH J-coupling. Heterocycles, 72, 469-495.